Saturday, December 03, 2005
November 22, 2005
It was Tuesday evening. I came back from work to take the boys swimming. Amaey was lying down looking rather yellow and slow. I started changing him into his swiming trunks and noticed that his belly was bloated and hard. The first thought that came to my mind was... gosh Amaey has what Arjun had, it was 5:30pm and his pediatrician was closed and I did not want to wait until the next day so I took him to urgent care. The holiday weekend was coming up and I just wanted to rest assure that all was fine.
The Urgent care doctor checked Amaey and asked us to go to ER at Stanford to get some blood drawn and a chest x-ray done. I took Amaey to Stanford and called Apurva who was in the city teaching his class.
Apurva and I both reached at the same time. ER took us in after an hour and did some bloodwork. Next thing we know a doctor calls us out and tells us that Amaey has Leukemia. He was not sure of the type and the risk. They would do more tests to get that information. They moved us to ICU, gave us some masks to wear and one after another more doctors came to see Amaey.
Around midnight they moved us to a room in the LPCH. The doctors told us that Amaey was extremely anemic and needed blood transfusion- now. Our little baby was hooked up with two ivy's and several monitors. The night felt really long. His breathing was so randomn that the monitor kept beeping throughout the night. It was so alarming evertime it would beep. The doctors came in but I had crashed in the chair. I could not take any more information.
Apurva was super strong through the whole night.
Next morning the doctor came in and both Apurva and I were really hoping this was all a bad joke and we would go home. However, that was not the case. They were certain with their initial diagnosis but could not confirm yet.
The day felt drawn out because the blood results that were supposed to be out at noon were confirmed at 11pm on Nov 23.
The doctor sat down and told us that Amaey has Type B Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. The next hour and half was the strangest. We were talking about starting his chemo the very next day at 8am and we were talking about a 2.5yr treatment roadmap.