Sunday, July 26, 2009

Waiting room

You are sitting, waiting, in a big waiting room
waiting for them to call your child in
Or, waiting for your child to be out of a procedure
You look around at shuffling faces, lost in their thoughts
Some sitting uncomfortably, fidgeting with their iPhones, getting up everytime a staff looks at them
I want to go and make a conversation
But what do I say?
What do I ask?
What can I offer in terms of solace?
What do I share from my experience?
This is one socially awkward place where familiarity doesn't pay, experience doesn't bode well, words of encouragement and hope feel pretentious
How do I strike a conversation?
Do I want to let them know that I have been there and done that just to find out that their pain is greater than mine?
Do I really want to know?
Do they really want to hear what I have to say?
I think I will just stay put, and let them figure it out themselves.

No comments: